Is your life too plastic? 18 October 2014
Last year my sister went along to TED talks about plastic use/ reduction and was part of the Responsible Runners at Bondi Beach who do a Sunday clean up. Before this I didn't pay much attention to plastic use at all. Now I'm definitely more conscious of it but can still reduce the amount of single-use plastic products I use. Reusing shopping bags as bin liners is one thing I want to reduce/stop.. I always forget to take green bags to the shop. Oops!
Things that annoy me in supermarkets:
- Packaging a bunch of bananas in plastic, smacking on a picture of Bananas in Pyjamas and calling it a kids pack. A banana is a banana. There aren't kids sized bananas. Just pick a normal bunch.
- Making packs of 4 avocados. Just pick 4 avocados…!
- Packaging organic products. Makes me a wee bit angry. I understand they need to differentiate them from normal products but it seems like a one step forward, one step back kinda thaaang.
IDEAS ON HOW TO REDUCE PLASTIC USE PS. This is a reminder list for me too - because I definitely don't do all of these.. yet ;)
- Bottled water - Give it up! Use a glass jar or reusable bottle (unlike bottled water, tap water is regularly monitored by your city, but if you don't like/can't have tap water then opt for filtered water).. I've been doing this for a while now.
- Coffee cup/lid - Take a reusable one.. I don't have takeaway coffee, either drink it there or at home.
- Bin liners - Line bin with newspaper.. NEED to do this one!
- Plastic bag - Take a reusable bag, and not just for groceries, everything - clothes, electronics etc.. NEED to do.
- Plastic produce bag - Generally unnecessary, cloth bags are an alternative.. I just chuck all my fruit and veggies in the basket and then in the fruit/veggie draw in the fridge..
- Plastic straw - Use your mouth instead or a metal straw.. Check!
- Toilet paper - Toilet paper wrapped in paper rather than plastic.. Need to change this.
- Cling wrap - Glass or stainless steel containers.. I use things like Avocado Savers, take a trip to Howards Storage World.
Good mind map! You can read more here.
Watch this :) and then check out the full movie
Bag It (Trailer)
Warning: You will start to notice plastic ERRYYYYWHERE!
Who is with me :D ?
PS. Small steps, reduce as much as possible, you don't need to be OCD about it. Using plastic containers at home is fine - focus on eliminating single-use plastic first :) well that's what I'm doing.